PL Season Review 1969-70

1969-70 CTPL Season & Grand Final Review


Kingborough’s defeat of the second-placed Clarence and North Hobart’s unexpected loss at the hands of lowly University in the last round resulted in Kingborough and North finishing in fourth place with the Knights winning the right to contest the finals on percentage.  Standings – New Town 86, Clarence 71, Glenorchy 69, with Kingborough and North Hobart on 62.


It didn’t really matter – the fickleness of Hobart’s autumn weather made a farce of the cricket season.  The two semi-finals were washed out without a ball being bowled with both the New Town oval and TCA (Domain) wickets under water for the greater part of the weekend.


But the final, played over Easter, fared marginally better – well, they did play some of the time.  The season fizzled out fifteen minutes before time on the second day after a frustrating attempt by everyone to get the match to a result conclusion.


There was no play on the Saturday.  Play was abandoned at 3.25pm after three inspections.  Curator Fred Monk would have had to be superhuman to get the ground ready; he had a nightmare of a day with spells of warm sunshine and heavy rain squalls alternating with peculiar regularity to upset any plans of salvaging the situation.


Play eventually started on Monday (the second day) at 12.30pm after three inspections of the wicket and, with less than five hours of play available, Clarence lost the toss they needed to win and were sent in on a surprisingly good strip but with a muddy track down the side of the pitch.  Practically any chance Clarence had went with the flip of the coin!


They were in trouble early when Leon Braslin dismissed openers Brian Patterson and Peter Roberts in one over, and with runs needed at a much faster pace they slumped to 59/5.  Braslin took the wickets of David Hibberd and Geoff Rowlands in another over to have the excellent figures of 4/10.


Australian badminton champion Ross Livingstone took to the bowling and despite being dropped in the gully on eight he went on to score 57, which included eighteen off Mansfield and eleven off Braslin in successive overs.  Livingstone chanced his luck in an innings which included a six and seven boundaries – and he may well have had greater success had Ralph Wyver been able to give him more of the strike.  As it was he took only 65 minutes for his half-century.


When Clarence declared its innings closed at 117/7, Braslin had bowled unchanged for 4/39 from 15 overs.


Brian Sheen and Wayne Williams knuckled down during their stay of 100 minutes but in that time Sheen almost played on and gave three chances off the bowling of Patterson.  An appeal against the light was rejected at 5pm by umpires Stevens and Palmer, but fifteen minutes later they pulled stumps and the match was declared drawn.


Mercury reporter – Keith Welsh