1980-81 CTPL Season & Grand Final Review 


South Hobart hung on to second place by the skin of their teeth; but by beating New Town on the first innings, Glenorchy jumped from fourth to equal second with South, who drew a rain-shortened game with Clarence in the last round.  Final points: Sandy Bay 64, South Hobart and Glenorchy 57, and Clarence 56.


The semi-finals were well won in the end by South and Sandy Bay after the minor premiers had a worry early in their run-chase innings.

Tony Wade, with 81, and the South Hobart tail gained valuable batting practice; South reached 397/9 in reply to Glenorchy’s 123.  The Bay flexed its muscles against Clarence in a match which produced several fine performances.  Opener Ken Archer’s 91 was the rock on which Clarence’s 239 was built as Stuart Saunders troubled most batsmen with 7/83; and a 4th wicket stand of 139 by Jim Wilkinson (112) and Robert Boughey (59) assisted Sandy Bay to 363 after opener Bruce Neill had scored 71.

Despite having the best of batting and bowling conditions, South Hobart was staring defeat at stumps on day two of the first final to be extended into a third day.


Entering the final day South required 33 runs with just two wickets in hand, after youngsters Tony Read (9*) and Chris Nichols (1*) had survived nineteen nail-biting minutes to see South through to stumps at 125/8 in reply to Sandy Bay’s 157.


On the second day, midway through the afternoon, South was 112/4 with their names all but etched into their second successive premiership cup.  Captain Colin Tully and Steve Allie had added 55 runs in 72 minutes and were doing it easily against the Bay all-spin attack of Brian Patterson and Stuart Saunders.  Then disaster!!


Allie (40) tried to hit Patterson out of the ground but only succeeded in skying a catch to Stephen Bridge at deep mid-wicket.  Without addition to the score Tully (17) threw his wicket away holing out to Bruce Neill trying to hit Patterson down the ground.  With the total unchanged, Mark Scholes fell to Saunders, compliments of a tumbling slips catch by Jim Wilkinson.  When Michael Allen (3) punched a ball into the hands of Saunders, four wickets had fallen for seven runs in 38 almost strokeless minutes.


On a wicket that gave little help Patterson and Saunders bowled unchanged for just over three and a half hours – Patterson taking 3/36 off 30 impeccable overs and Saunders 3/46 off 27 overs.


In contrast South’s bowlers had had everything in their favour on Saturday when Tully won a vital toss and invited the Bay to bat.


Aided by overcast conditions and a wicket tailor-made for seamers, South quickly had Sandy Bay on the ropes at 17/3.  Had it not been for a painstakingly patient 53 in 377 minutes by David Smith, and a spate of dropped catches, the Bay may not have reached 100.  But as well as South’s pacemen bowled – Michael Allen with 4/32 off 31.1 overs was the pick of them – the Bay’s batsmen were largely to blame for their dilemma.  Had they attempted to work the ball and put more pressure on South’s fieldsmen, then their 436-minute occupation of the crease would have been more profitable than their meagre 157.


It took Sandy Bay eighteen minutes to wrap up the final on the third day and win the premiership they had been waiting fifteen years for.  Medium pacer Nick Allanby took full advantage of the heavy atmosphere and moisture in the TCA pitch to capture South’s remaining two wickets in three balls.  He got the vital break when he bowled keeper Chris Nichols and then spread eagled the stumps of South’s number eleven, Ian Jarvis.


South’s Steve Allie was judged man-of-the-match.


Footnote: Three players were reported for misconduct – South’s Kevin Treweek and Mark Scholes and the Bay’s Nick Allanby.  In each case they were reported by the umpires for their conduct after being given out. 


The shenanigans began on Saturday when the game was only five overs old when Allanby threw his bat in a rage after being given out caught behind off Scholes.  Then on Sunday Treweek broke the wicket with his bat and exchanged heated words with umpire Jim Stevens and nearby fieldsmen.


Mercury reporter – David Stockdale