2015-16 CTPL Season & Grand Final Review 


Glenorchy leap-frogged from fifth to second place after its last round victory over SHSB thanks largely to opener ex-Victorian junior Travis Birt who scored his fifth century of the season to guide the Magpies to its win.  Despite its loss SHSB remained in third position while Lindisfarne replaced University as the fourth team for the semi-final round.  Final standings: Clarence 129.57, Glenorchy 107.53, SHSB 106.89, Lindisfarne 105.82, with North Hobart 104.53, Kingborough 104.26 and University 103.99 showing how tight the leader board was at the close.


Alas, all TCA semi-final matches were cancelled because of rain and the minor premiers, Clarence, and Glenorchy were given a free-pass to the final.  Success had eluded both clubs for several seasons; Glenorchy had not won a grand final since 1976-77 and Clarence, 1994-95.  Its appearance in the final was somewhat of a fairy-tale for Glenorchy which had finished in last place the previous season.  Clarence went into the final clear favourites having dominated the roster all season.


Glenorchy’s decision to bat first on a pitch which appeared to favour the ball certainly backfired when they were dismissed for a mere 112; when bad light forced an early finish its bowlers had retrieved the situation somewhat with the Roos 87/4 at stumps.


Clarence’s pace trio of David Saker, Gerard Denton and Mark Colegrave ripped through the Glenorchy batting line-up, Saker the most successful with 4/21 from 15.2 overs, including eight maidens.  Colegrave finished with 3/31 from 17 overs, also with eight maidens, and Denton took 3/30 from 13 overs, with five maidens.


Glenorchy’s top-scorer was Nathan Kopper with 28 (six fours) with bowlers Matthew Pascoe (23) and Brett Geves (22) helping to raise the total to 112.


It was a watchful start by openers Birt and Peter Dickson; Saker made the break-through by clipping the off-stump of Birt to remove him for one and Colegrave trapped Dickson in front for two to leave Glenorchy 5/2 after nine overs.


The first boundary came up in the tenth over when Michael Knight drove Saker through the covers, but Colegrave struck again next over when he had Luke Butterworth caught for a duck, leaving Glenorchy precariously placed at 9/3.


Kopper came to the wicket and set about lifting the run rate, with three boundaries off Denton’s first two overs, but the state speedster uprooted Knight’s leg-stump for eight and Glenorchy were 28/4 at the drinks break.  Robbie Dilger was next to go, caught behind for four off Denton with the score on 40, and Kopper’s defiant innings came to an end when Denton enticed an edge.  It didn’t get any better as Ben Oliver lost his wicket in the last over before lunch – the Magpies went to the break in disarray at 59/7.


Pickering went straight after lunch without scoring and it was left to Geeves and Pascoe to make something of the innings; together they had a spirited stand of 37 for the ninth wicket before Colegrave bowled Geeves.


Clarence’s innings started steadily although Ben Harris was dropped at four.  His partner Scott Mason was first to go, caught behind off Pascoe for 11 in the tenth over with the total 29/1.  The fifty came up in the tenth over but double success came the way of Glenorchy when Shannon Tubb (27) and Grant Costelloe (0) both fell with the score on 66.  Captain Andrew Dykes followed five runs later also for a duck; with Clarence 71/4, Glenorchy had worked itself back into the game.  Harris remained unfazed by the loss of his partners at the other end and when the light appeal was given remained 34* with his team on the improve with 87/4 at stumps.


The second day belonged to Clarence’s fifteen-year-old middle order left-hander Matthew Wade whose maiden 1st grade century enabled Clarence to take an iron grip of the premiership.  Wade’s 119 came off 226 balls in 226 minutes and included 14 fours and a six.  He became the youngest player to score a century in a 1st grade final.


While Wade may have top-scored in Clarence’s innings of 362, the value of Harris’s 70 cannot be underestimated.  He survived five partners and occupied the crease for 250 minutes, facing 206 balls and hit 12 boundaries.  He and Wade were well supported by Matthew Clingeleffer with 64 (seven fours and one six), his best innings of the season, and Wayne Quarrell with 20.


For Glenorchy no-one toiled harder than Pascoe, who sent down a marathon 40 overs, including 12 maidens, for the excellent return of 5/99.  Brett Geeves also worked hard, taking 1/75 off 31 overs.


Resuming on day two, Harris bought up Clarence’s century with a four off Geeves in the eighth over of the morning and a flowing off-drive for his tenth boundary shortly after brought up his fifty and carried Clarence into the lead.  Glenorchy finally achieved a breakthrough when Quarrell was caught behind for 20, trying to hook Geeves.  His dismissal ended an enterprising 57-run partnership with Harris, leaving the Roos 128/5.


Harris and Wade continued to build the lead until Harris’s long innings came to an end when he was caught behind off Dickson just before lunch at 176/6.


Wade’s half-century came in 11 minutes off 91 balls; he was dropped on 84 as he and Clingeleffer bought up their 100-run partnership in just 123 minutes.  A four followed by a six took Wade to 96, but he was left on 98 when tea was taken with his side 291/6.  Clingeleffer reached his fifty just after the break, with Wade achieving his milestone off a misfield the next over.  The partnership was finally broken with the score on 331 when Clingeleffer was caught off Pascoe for 64, ending a fine union that had yielded 155 runs.


Wade’s innings came to an end when he was well caught and bowled by Dilger.  Clarence led Glenorchy by 25 runs on the first innings, including a 10-run penalty for a slow-over-rate.  The Magpies had wiped 13 runs off the deficit for the loss of one wicket when stumps were drawn.


Needing 247 runs to make Clarence bat again, Glenorchy struggled again to come to grips with the Roos’s pace attack and lost its last nine wickets for 88 runs.


Only a defiant 54-run last wicket partnership between Brent Cartledge (32) and Pickering (18*) enabled the Magpies to reach a triple-figure total, with Travis Birt (20) the only other batsman to make double figures.


Gerard Denton finished with the best bowling figures of 4/21 from 10.2 overs, and Nathan Wegman claiming 3/8 from 10 miserly overs, which included five maidens.


The writing was on the wall early on the third day when Glenorchy lost three wickets for nine runs in the first five overs.  Birt and Dilger carried the score to 40 before the introduction of Wegman into the attack soon paid dividends; he bowled Birt with his fourth delivery.  Saker then joined the action having Dilger caught at point for six and dismissing Geeves in identical fashion for one three overs later.


When Pascoe went for a duck, the Magpies were 47/9, but Cartledge and Pickering showed their team-mates how it should be done posting their fifty partnership in 29 minutes off only 56 balls.  With the lunch break put back thirty minutes, it was Denton who ended the contest, uprooting Cartledge’s stumps with a superb yorker.


Clarence’s last premiership was eight seasons earlier and since then it had been on the losing end of three finals.  Captain Andrew Dykes, who, along with Matthew Clingeleffer and Grant Costelloe, played in the hat-trick of losses, said the win had been a long time coming.  He said the loss of the toss had not really bothered him.  “I was a bit unsure if I’d bat or bowl first but I knew we had the players to do well either way.  What was pleasing was how Ben Harris (player of the final) and Matthew Clingeleffer, who had not had the best of seasons with the bat, stood up when it counted.”


“The innings of Matthew Wade was just the icing on the cake and I don’t think he will realize how important that innings was for another three or four years.”


Glenorchy’s captain Nick McGann said while his side had been outplayed it was only the beginning.  “Winning the toss and batting first might not have been the right choice, but we believed our strength was our batting.  For the club to come from last to making the grand final is a good step forward.”


Mercury reporter – Colin Chung


Back: B Davison (coach), W Quarrell, D Saker, G Denton, N Wegman, M Clingeleffer, M Wade, M Peters (coach)

Front: S Mason, S Tubb, B Harris, A Dykes (capt), G Costelloe, M Colegrave


Clarence Premiers 2002-03