2005-06 CTPL Season & Grand FInal Report 

A fourteen round competition with seven two-day and seven one-day fixtures was scheduled by the Grade Cricket Committee but inclement weather washed out the first and most of the second rounds and hampered several more matches during the pre-Christmas period.  By the end of the home and away series, there had been less balls/overs bowled in the season for 33 years.


Clarence headed the standings with 58 points with Glenorchy 54, North Hobart 52 and Lindisfarne 42 making up the final four – with daylight ahead of the rest.  Glenorchy was the big improver with its top-order batsmen Luke Butterworth (523), Dane Anderson (482), Rob Dilger (428) dominating throughout the season.  University (24), Kingborough (22) and SHSB (18) disappointed while New Town (12) has much recruitment ahead to make any impact.


Glenorchy retained its Statewide Kookaburra Cup title when it convincingly defeated Clarence in the final and University beat the Magpies in the inaugural Twenty/20 Cup final.


Jamie Cox, who retired from the first class arena during the season, was named the TCA Cricketer of the Year.  Luke Butterworth won the batting double with 523 runs @ 65.38, Lindisfarne’s James Dillon had the best bowling average (14.84) and Mark Colegrave, with 34 wickets, topped the bowling aggregate for the fourth time.  During the season, Colegrave had the unique experience of taking a hat-trick with the first three deliveries of an innings (Clarence v New Town).  SHSB and state batsman George Bailey scored the only double century – 202* v New Town; his great grand father GH Bailey hit the first double century score in Tasmania – 227* for Derwent v Break o’Day in 1880-81.


The semi-finals pitted the two form teams Glenorchy and North Hobart (with its quartet of state players) against each other and it was North’s experienced batting that set up a comfortable win in a rain-plagued match – North 319 (Michael Dighton 104) d Glenorchy 179.  In the other semi, Clarence batted into the second day to deny Lindisfarne any chance – all its batters contributed to a healthy 342; in response Lindisfarne capitulated for 139 with Nathan Wegman the destroyer with 6/49.


The scene was set for a replay of the 2004-05 final.


Grade Final Match Report


Fortuitously fine weather all week continued into the weekend and enabled the final, played over three days, to reach a conclusion without any interruptions although on the morning of the first day, a heavy atmosphere following overnight showers suggested the winning of the toss would be an essential determination in the outcome of the match.


Clarence’s second year skipper Grant Costelloe called correctly and invited North Hobart to bat and on a wicket with early life, and they were quickly in trouble at 38/3, courtesy of the evergreen speedster Mark Colegrave.  His removal of heavy hitters Michael Di Venuto and Michael Dighton were major blows to North’s top order.  Colegrave had Di Venuto caught behind the wicket by Matthew Wade and then the vital wicket of Dighton, caught at short cover trying to drive, to have the Demons a shaky 26/2.  Twelve runs later Colegrave struck again when he had opener Darren Mizzen caught by Damien Wright at first slip for seven.


It took two other state players to get North out of the big hole.  ‘Keeper Sean Clingeleffer (97 with 14 fours) and Dan Marsh (47 with eight fours), put on an invaluable 77 for the fourth wicket.  Clingeleffer carried on fro his fine season with the bat and gloves for Tasmania and looked set for a well deserved century before Nathan Wegman bowled him.


By stumps the Roos were 12/1 in reply to North’s 227; it was a scenario every bit as thrilling as last season’s clash.  The hero of the day for Clarence was their new ball master Colegrave who finished North’s innings with 6/76 from 32.4 overs, including 12 maidens.  North’s coach David Collins conceded that age had not wearied Colegrave.  “He’s been around a long time, puts the ball in the right places and knows batsmen’s weaknesses.  We hung tough and getting the wicket of Jonathon Wells late in the day has got us back on an even keel.”


Collins was disappointed his team failed to reach 250 but was adamant the wicket was still giving the bowlers assistance, making it a priority to take early wickets on day two.  “There’s moisture in the deck and we’ve got the quicks, headed by Adam Griffith, to make the most of it.”


And so it transpired – but not to the script Collins had planned.  Clarence fell apart in the face of the seam and swing of first change medium-pacer Miles Harry.  After collecting Wells’s wicket just on stumps the previous evening, Harry went on a rampage blasting out Andrew Dykes (15), Shannon Tubb (10), Scott Kremerskothen (1), Grant Costelloe (4) and Matthew Wade (11).  Spearhead Griffith was happy to play a support role to Harry who was playing his last match for North Hobart – having transferred in his employment to Melbourne.  He took 6/26 off eleven overs to have Clarence in complete disarray and back in the pavilion for a mere 106.  It was an indictment of Clarence’s top and middle-order that the best partnership of the innings – 28 – came from the last wicket pair Nathan Wegman (19*) and Jason Wright (12).


Collins again: “Miles was terrific and got the ball to swing both ways as well as getting the odd one to nibble off the seam.  We sustained pressure on Clarence and backed up with some very good catching.”


But the game was not over – welcome back Mark Colegrave.  Nothing could detract from the amazing performance of the paceman who bowled Clarence back into the game with another lion-hearted effort; his 5/45 from 21 overs had North struggling.  But the Demons had reached 151/9 – 272 runs ahead when stumps were drawn, thanks to David Collins and John Pregnell; their resolute tenth wicket stand, worth 14, kept Clarence frustratingly in the field.


Colegrave’s twelve-wicket haul in the finals series took his season tally to 46.

The last wicket stand continued for nearly an hour into the third day to push North’s lead to 330.  By the time Collins (59) lost his wicket, his partnership of 72 with Pregnell (31*) had become the highest last wicket stand in grand final history.  Together they had batted Clarence out of the premiership race and in the hour remaining before lunch, the Roos’ top order, ensured the match would not go the full distance; through a series of rash shot selection, Clarence tumbled to 42/3 by lunch.


Despite bold efforts by bowler-turned batsman Damien Wright (61) and wicket-keeper Matthew Wade (41), Clarence eventually fell well short to be dismissed for 232.  Big Jon Dakin was the destroyer with the new ball, returning the match-winning figures of 5/76 off 18 overs.


The win was hugely satisfying for captain Adam Griffith after leading North to its second successive title.  “Dakin was the best player in the finals and his contribution, along with Sean Clingleffer and Miles Harry, was critical to us winning the game.  We needed those extra runs in the first session of play to put pressure on Clarence in the run chase and Collins and Pregnell made sure we got them.”


It was indicative of North’s bowling depth that first-innings destroyer Harry wasn’t brought into the attack until Clarence had reached 90/4.  But the all-rounder made up for lost time; his second innings 3/25 off eight overs gave him match-figures of 8/51.


The Man of the Match was Clingeleffer, who showed what a valuable wicket-keeper-batsman he is by top-scoring with 97 on a wicket that provided help to the bowlers.  He also took nine catches.


Report by David Stockdale (The Mercury) and Michael Gandy