CTPL 2009-10 Season & Finals Report  


An unusually wet spring caused considerable consternation at the start of the season as curators struggled to prepare wickets.  The first two rounds were rescheduled and the pennant competition eventually started with R3 on 7 November; the weather thereafter improved and runs came after Christmas.  And they came in record numbers.


The 1901-02 partnership of 429 for the 7th wicket by CJ Eady and W Abbott (Break o’Day v Wellington) was surpassed by the Clarence pair, Jonathon Wells (222*) and Wade Irvine (212) [v Glenorchy], who hit up a stand of 438, also breaking the 2nd wicket record of 305 between Todd Pinnington and Ben Donaldson [North Hobart v University] made in 1995-96.  It was only the second time in TCA 1st Grade history that two batsmen had scored double centuries in the same innings.


Earlier North Hobart batsmen, Michael Dighton and Jon Dakin [v Kingborough], scored 205* for the 8th wicket bettering the 178-run partnerships made by Col Richardson and Bob Parsons [North Hobart v Kingborough in 1948-49] and Des Kenna and Kel Cobern [Glenorchy v North Hobart in 1963-64].


Wells’s series of 190* and 37* [v Lindisfarne] and 222* and bowling return of 4/4/0/4 [v Glenorchy] was the best sequence of batting since CJ Eady’s efforts of 229* and 8/70, then 218 in the following match during the 1899-1900 season.


The 14th and final round in 1st Grade was climactic; apart from Lindisfarne (8th) all other teams changed positions.  Starting with a last-over outright victory in its match with Clarence, Kingborough leap-frogged from 7th to 4th and into the finals; New Town lost to South Hobart Sandy Bay and dropped from 3rd to 5th place to be replaced by the Combined in 3rd spot.  North Hobart took out the minor premiership after defeating Lindisfarne by an innings to swap places with University who had a one-wicket win, only to fall to 2nd, against Glenorchy (7th).


Final points were: North Hobart 56, University 54, SHSB 46, Kingborough 46, New Town 46, Clarence 44, Glenorchy 36 and Lindisfarne 12.  Clarence won the Club Championship.  In December North Hobart defeated University in the final of the TCA’s T20 competition and followed up in February with another win over the Students in the final of the Kookaburra Cup.  The Demons then shared the Statewide T20 Knockout title with Ulverstone after the final was declared a no match when weather prevented any play in the match scheduled to be played at Ulverstone.


So it came as no surprise with the completion of the semi-finals that the reigning premiers, University, and last year’s runners-up, North Hobart, would win through to contest the final played at Bellerive Oval.  Both convincing winners in their semis, North piled on 403 and then held off Kingborough (296) and University had a convincing ten wicket victory over SHSB.


Grade Final Match Report


By lunch on the first day of the final played at Bellerive it looked very much like déjà vu – a repeat of the 2008-09 final; University won the toss this time and opted to bowl on a tinged wicket which appeared to offer movement.  It did and by lunch North was perilously placed at 78/5, almost a replica of the previous final flop when the Demons went to the first break at 89/6.  Unlike last year this time there would be no Demon roll-over, through Patrick Doherty they mounted a rear-guard action to be eventually bowled out for 261 in the shadows of stumps.


It was North’s skipper Michael Dighton who started the Demon’s fight back with an aggressive 80 from 109 balls with eight fours and two sixes – including a blast over midwicket onto the hill from the second ball he faced.  But it was Doherty who was most instrumental in halting the Lions momentum.


After Dighton fell lbw to leg-spinner Josh Bean to end a 52-run stand with Doherty, North was still in danger of being bundled out cheaply at 156/7.  However, Doherty took up the mantle of the dominant batsman hitting a season-high of 84, sharing a crucial 32-run stand with Adam Giffith (6) and an even better ninth wicket partnership with No. 10 Rhys Owen.


Owen may have only contributed twelve ruins to the stand but soaked up more than 80 minutes of pressure, including a fair stunt against left-arm quicks James Faulkner and the latest Emerson Rodwell medalist, Andrew Kealy, armed with the second new-ball.


On a motly coloured wicket with some good grass coverage it was the Lions who dominated early.  Faulkner bowled Russell de Groot (5) with his fourth delivery of the morning to set the scene and Jason Kreja chimed in to have the other opener back in the pavilion (25/2) after Marcus Bowerman (4) missed a full toss in the former Test spinner’s first over and was adjudged leg before.  Then Kealy dismissed former Tigers captain, Dan Marsh (25) and Jon Dakin (4) just before lunch, and playing-coach Sean Clingeleffer (10), not long after the long break, to do most of the damage.