CTPL 2013-14 Season & Finals Report  


Eastern Shore clubs Clarence (74) and Lindisfarne (72) stood out all season with SHSB and Glenorchy (64 separated by percentage) well clear of the rest – Kingborough (46), University (42) with New Town (40) and North Hobart (22) trailing badly – and were clear favourites to advance to the final.


It was not to be.  At Anzac Park weather restricted play for six hours and Lindisfarne, having struggled to 129, narrowly failed to contain SHSB who scored 8/132 after being 8/99 before Xavier Doherty (40*) saved the day.  At Blundstone Arena Clarence threw away its semi-final; after leading on the first innings by 25 runs they fell to Luke Butterworth’s line and length and in 35 overs were routed for 83 (Butterworth 6/37) and in the remaining time Glenorchy reached the target losing 2/109 to produce a replay of last season’s final against SHSB.


Glenorchy also had a stunning win over Clarence in the T20 final and Lindisfarne repeated the dose with success over Clarence in the Kookaburra Cup final.  Glenorchy also took out the Statewide T20 final with a last over win against Ulverstone.  North Hobart won the inaugural Women’s state final against Wynyard.


Grand Final Match Report


Play in the final at Blundstone Arena was delayed for an hour due to showers before a start under heavy skies when Trent le Rossignol opened the door on the Sharks middle order.  Due to injury Le Rossignol had not played a first-grade match all season but was elevated after taking 8/28 in the thirds the previous weekend.  He bowled only four overs but picked up the vital wickets of Alex Doolan (4) and opener Hamish Kingston (20) before Luke Butterworth ran amok.


The Magpies backed up their bowlers in the field highlighted by captain Brett Geeves throwing his largish frame through the air at slip to take a one-handed screamer to dismiss Xavier Doherty (19).


Having dismissed SHSB for 119 Glenorchy was well placed at stumps with 5/234 thanks to Ben Dunk whose golden summer continued despite the murky skies.  The left hander fell one run short of consecutive centuries for Glenorchy.  On 99 he tried to bring up his century off just 108 balls with a six of his legs to the short boundary only to be well caught by Kingston to end a 133-run starnd with Ryan Myer (64*).  The partnership meant the Magpies were able to go to stumps with a lead of 115 with five wickets in hand despite the best efforts of Sharks’ quick Gabe Bell (4/66).


The second day saw Glenorchy progress to 298 and a 180-run lead.  Any chance SHSB had of making a fight revolved around a strong second innings but a burst of 3/3 fifteen minutes before lunch had them teetering on 3/27 at lunch.  Stuart Martin was trapped lbw and two balls later Kingston shouldered arms to Butterworth only to have his off stump pegged back.  Two overs later Doolan also failed to offer a shot and was adjudged lbw for a second-ball duck.


Two wickets after lunch had the Combined at 5/87 and the chance of making Glenorchy bat again was a long shot.


Teenager Lachie Fraser (62) teamed with Doherty for a 99-run stand which helped erase the deficit before being bowled by Butterworth,  Doherty was then joined by skipper Travis Little (40) and the pair counter attacked with flair to raise hopes of setting up a miracle.  They looked comfortable until Magpie captain Geeves slipped one through Little’s defence.


Number eleven Will Thompson, batting with a runner, hung around long enough for Doherty to reach a milestone century.  Sadly his brilliant rear-guard innings concluded when he was run out for 105 having pushed one to point and was short of his ground when Richard Dilger’s direct hit at the bowler’s end concluded the innings on 276 – a lead of 97.


Glenorchy closed on 0/2 needing 95 for back to back titles on day three.


It proved a pulsating and gripping final day as the Magpies stuttered to victory having survived a herculean effort by Hamish Kingston to fall over the line.  Kingston was one of the heroes of the day with 5/27 from 19 overs; Brett Geeves the other.


Glenorchy lost Henry Terry on the third ball of the day and only four runs were scored in the first half-hour before Kingston turned up the heat by removing Ed Cowan and Brad Absolom, both caught behind.


Gabe Bell chipped in with the prize wicket of Den Dunk with a cracking inswinger and at 4/44 the Sharks could sense they were right back in the match and despite a slow rebuild by Butterworth (21) and Meyer their departure at 6/49 had Glenorchy in deep trouble.


Enter Brett Geeves; the captain-coach used his wealth of first-class experience to weather the storm as he and Richie Dilger (10) chipped away at the target run by run.  Never one to back down, Geeves had a war of words with opposing captain Little just before lunch, a moment which perhaps fully engaged him in the contest.


Kingston returned after the break to trap Dilger in front for a well derserved five-wicket haul but Nathan Matthews joined his skipper to help guide the Magpies home.  Fittingly it was Geeves who hit the winning run, driving Robb Macmillan to mid-off to finish with 30*.


“At no stage did I ever feel comfortable in this match.  It was never in the bag and there were definitely a few nerves when we were 4/14.  97 is a chase you should get – but a grand final and Hamish Kingston with his tail up?  They certainly played a part but we had a couple of real scrappers towards the end.”


Geeves was full of praise for Hamish Kingston who finished runner up to Jon Wells in the Rodwell Medal count.  All-rounder Luke Butterworth was named the Roger Woolley Medalist as Man of the Match.


Report by Brett Stubbs from “The Mercury” and Michael Gandy