PL Season Review 1955-56

1955-56 CTPL Season & Grand Final Review

Unfortunately beaten by Brighton in the last roster round, Kingborough was displaced in the finals by New Norfolk.  Despite Trevor Gordon’s 5/20 in Brighton’s disappointing innings of 64, in reply Kingborough failed by two runs – despatched for 63 and dropped from third to fifth place.  Final standings were: Glenorchy 88, New Town 82, North Hobart 59 and New Norfolk 55 with Kingborough 54.


The semi-final round saw two comprehensive victories: Glenorchy compiled 465 (Emerson Rodwell 175) before dismissing New Norfolk for 93 (David McGuire 5/28) and 87 (Rex Garwood 6/31); and in the other match New Town with 327 (Harry Pinkus 120) was too strong for North Hobart, which was also beaten by an innings after being dismissed for 149 and 166.


The semi-finals were played on Easter Saturday and Monday and the final commenced the following day, Easter Tuesday.


The match was virtually over by the time stumps were pulled 30 minutes early when a light appeal was upheld with Glenorchy 49/1 in reply to New Town’s 188.


The first day belonged to Glenorchy’s fast bowler Terry Palmer who took 6/43.  Bowling in short spells through most of the day Palmer sent down 28 overs, including seven maidens.  He was well supported by the tireless Noel Diprose, who sent down 25 overs (seven maidens) for 3/51.


But for a bright partnership of 72 between Harry Pinkus (58) and Cliff Hurburgh (23), New Town’s score would have been low.


Palmer clean bowled Peter Wiseman for 13 then trapped the other opener, Max Cashion, lbw for 18 to provide the initial breakthrough.  When skipper Ralph Tremayne, who had played scratchily for nearly an hour, was caught off Diprose for 8, New Town was teetering at 52/3.


It was a very attacking field which greeted New Town’s key batsman, Hurburgh, who joined Pinkus at this stage.  Hurburgh decided to hit out and despite several escapes his bravado encouraged a very cautious Pinkus, who began to play some sparkling cricket, hitting four successive boundaries, and the pair carried the score to 103/3 at lunch.


On resumption the batsmen slowed and play became very dull and uninteresting.  After 53 minutes for his 23, Hurburgh was bowled by Palmer, who at that stage had bowled 21 overs and taken 3/27.


McLeod joined Pinkus and attacked the bowling but New Town’s hopes faded when Pinkus tried to cover-drive Diprose and was caught behind.  He’d taken 176 minutes to score 58 runs.  His dismissal spelt disaster for New Town, and Palmer and Diprose sent the next three batsmen packing within thirteen minutes.  Palmer bowled McLeod (18) with the score 146/6, and enticed Clem Richardson (8) to go for a big hit and shattered his stumps with a perfect-length ball.


Don Mills blocked Diprose desperately for several minutes but snicked one, the keeper only to be followed by Byrne, who became Diprose’s third victim, and the score slumped to 162/6.  Stubborn resistance then came from bowlers Ian Grimsey and Jock Coe, who treated the Glenorchy bowlers with respect but produced several fine scoring shots before the innings closed at 188.


In reply Glenorchy’s openers handled the New Town attack easily before Smith (19) was unlucky to be run out – a decision not taken well by many spectators.  Dewsnap joined McGuire and the pair took the total to 49/1 before the light appeal.


Play resumed the following Saturday.  Steady drizzle early in the afternoon did not affect play, with the covers protecting the wicket from overnight rain.


McGuire and Dewsnap both fell to catches off the bowling of Clem Richardson soon after play began; their dismissals brought Doug Walton and Emerson Rodwell together and by lunch the pair had taken the score to 158/3 to almost seal the match.


The afternoon provided a run feast and after the New Town score had been passed the Glenorchy batsmen, scoring off almost every ball, showed the bowlers scant respect.  Walton and Rodwell added 220 for the 4th wicket – Rodwell scoring 122 with 8 fours and a six before he was bowled by Grimsey.  It was Rodwell’s third century of the season and second in succession. His innings took 156 minutes.  Walton’s 174 took 170 minutes and included 14 fours and 3 sixes.


The remaining Glenorchy batsmen flayed the New Town attack; nine bowlers were used.  An appeal against the light was upheld by the umpires just after 5pm, which stopped the misery being prolonged further, with the premiers’ score at 437/8.


Mercury reporter – Keith Welsh