PL Season Review 1957-58

1957-58 CTPL Season & Grand Final Review 


Kingborough turned the tables on the perennial premiers to win its first TCA 1st grade premiership since WWII – a space of eleven seasons.  It did so having finished the roster season in third place by defeating Clarence (2nd) in the semi-final.  The other finalist, Glenorchy, minor premiers for the fourth successive year, won its way to the final with victory over New Town.


After leading the standings all season, South Hobart suffered the indignity of losing its last roster match at Kingston Beach and dropped from the final standings.  Chasing a meager 115, South, at one stage 27/2, was dismissed for 38 (Trevor Gordon 6/5).  Worthy of record was David McGuire’s effort for Glenorchy when he took 9/28 and 1/1 on the first afternoon of the final-round match with North Hobart (52 and 82), which was defeated by an innings.  New Town edged South from the finals on percentage after defeating New Norfolk by an innings.  The points table was Glenorchy 78, Clarence 66, Kingborough 59 and New Town 57.


There were soft wickets everywhere for the semi-final round and the scores reflected the difficulties batsmen had.  Kingborough, 160 and 155, defeated Clarence, 112 (Ron Morrisby making 72).  Clarence’s opening bowler Ross Dufty, 6/63 and 5/42, had a fine double, while Geoff Knott’s 6/47 was equally damaging for the victors.  The other final was restricted to the first day only – in the time available Glenorchy with scores of 73 and 5/180, had the better of New Town which managed just 36 (Terry Palmer 7/13).

Batting first in the final, Kingborough produced a day of surprises for Glenorchy, aiming for its eighth premiership.  After starting its innings disappointingly Kingborough recovered from 22/2 to reach the grand score of 302 when its last wicket fell ten minutes before stumps.


Kingborough lost keeper Ray Stringer (1) in the opening over and Don Hughes (11) became the second of Palmer’s early scalps as Kingborough struggled at the outset on a perfect TCA wicket in the face of Glenorchy’s keen and accurate attack, but thanks to a bright partnership between captain Keith Schmidt and Rowley Hazell the lunch score of 86/3 was a welcome relief at the break.


The partnership was broken when Hazell (38) was bowled by Palmer, and the successive wickets of Schmidt (37) and John Hughes (5) put them on the back foot again before another enterprising stand between Trevor Gordon (51) and Don Randell (31) carried the score to 179, when Randell was bowled by McGuire.  In his 58 minutes at the wicket Randell hit five fours.

Gordon was then joined by Terry Hughes.  Anxious to see the score reach 200 by tea the pair steadily added to the total before Gordon (51) lost his wicket after 138 minutes.  Hughes and David Donaghy took advantage of some loose bowling after tea and lifted the score to 287/9 before part-time trundler Mike Hyland had Donaghy (32) caught.  Even the 10th wicket partnership wagged, with Knott defending to enable Hughes to reach his fifty and take the team score beyond 300.


Glenorchy went into the second day’s play (a Monday holiday) with the thought of rain to save them, for if the match was drawn the team would automatically win the title, but to retain wickets intact at the end of play would require some solidarity in the face of a useful Kingborough attack on a pitch that bore little resemblance to that used on the preceding Saturday.


Chasing 302, Glenorchy began its innings positively to reach 40/0 but the combination of Trevor Gordon and Keith Schmidt broke the aggression and defence, and Glenorchy was dismissed before tea for a disappointing score of 150.


Opener Lloyd Smith (30), who carried off Glenorchy’s early aggression, scoring mostly from hits lofted to the outfield, was the only batman to handle the conditions confidently.  Later batsmen found the wicket difficult to bat on although it was not dangerous at any stage.  A strong wind made the bowlers task somewhat arduous and Glenorchy’s tail was able to delay the inevitable end.


Invited to follow on, Glenorchy reached 31/0 when play was abandoned due to rain and Kingborough were declared premiers for 1957-58.


Mercury reporter – Keith Welsh