PL Season Review 1962-63

1962-63 CTPL Season Review 1962-63 


In the last round of the roster, unexpected defeats for Clarence and New Town, at the hands of Sandy Bay and South Hobart respectively, cost them their finals positions.  Final points were North Hobart 71, Glenorchy 66, University 48 and South Hobart 47.


University was making its first finals appearance but easily lost its semi to Glenorchy; the scores: University 118 and 85/6 – Glenorchy 398 and 172/4.  Minor premiers North Hobart, 181 and 237/6, was too good for South Hobart which crashed for 86 and 46/5.  Gary Brakey was North’s destroyer with 7/30 in South’s first innings – his fast bowling was considered the most thrilling burst seen for many years.


A fine double by Emerson Rodwell put his team into a favourite position at the close of play on the first day with Glenorchy requiring only 49 runs with eight wickets in hand.  Rodwell won the toss and invited North Hobart to bat first.  His decision was greeted with surprise by many, but as Rodwell observed he was placed in a position whereby his team needed to win to take the premiership.  His gamble paid off, as North was dismissed for a modest 150.


Rodwell played a big part, sending down 19 overs with nine maidens to take 3/16.  He bowled short of a length and had the batsmen playing balls to specifically placed fielders.  North may well have not reached 150 if Glenorchy had held its catches.  In each of the first two overs Max Atwell was missed in the slips and he went on to make a patient but valuable 50.


It was a tragedy for North when Athol Townley was needlessly run out.  He played a ball into the gully and he and Atwell started to run; they hesitated and both batsmen ended up at the same end with the ball in the hand of the bowler at the other.  Townley sacrificed his wicket by crossing over.


Atwell and David Long figured in a valuable 4th wicket partnership of 48 and then Ted Richardson and Tony Hill each contributed 20, adding 39 for the 7th wicket.  In the closing stage of North’s innings, Gary Brakey pulled a glorious six off Kel Cobern’s bowling and two balls later slammed the ball through the covers for four.


Rodwell was the best of Glenorchy’s attack but Roy Bowden bowled most accurately without success – his 18 overs cost only 32 runs and he might well have taken three or four wickets.


Glenorchy opened with Rodwell and Lloyd Smith taking strike to Brakey and Sam Randall; in the latter’s second over, Smith was brilliantly caught low down in the slips by Gordon Long – the score being 21/1.  At that stage Rodwell was joined by Mike Hyland.  The skipper’s strokeplay was flawless – his cover driving and square cuts were executed with artistic skill.  At one stage he had a sequence of five boundaries.


When the pair had added 62, of which Hyland contributed only 12, and Rodwell was one short of his fifty, he stepped across a delivery from Brakey, missed and was out lbw.  With Glenorchy scoring freely, North Hobart actually appealed against the light at 4.50pm.  The umpires rejected the appeal but, after conferring three more times, suspended play at 5.05pm.  Twenty-five minutes later, with the light showing no sign of improving, stumps were drawn.


Well placed at 101/2 going into the second Saturday, Glenorchy was forced to wait to resume its innings; inclement weather delayed play until the umpires determined conditions were suitable to begin at 1.15pm.  The wicket, which had been covered, was in good order when play started, but two wickets fell quickly before Doug Walton and Dal Johnston took the score to 143/5.


The sixth wicket fell when the scores were level and Glenorchy went ahead when George Tozer scored two off Gary Brakey.  But the batsmen found difficulty with off-spinner Tony Hill and Brakey’s pace, and the side then collapsed to be dismissed for 167.  Brakey finished with 5/66 and Hill 3/30.


In its second innings, North Hobart was always in trouble.  Tea was taken when light rain drove the players from the field at 4.20pm with the score at 53/8.  When the umpires decided the light had improved just on 5pm, North’s captain Ted Richardson declared his team’s innings closed rather than let the game die, leaving Glenorchy fifty minutes to score the necessary runs for outright victory.


The highlight of the afternoon was the sensational bowling of Glenorchy’s left-arm pace bowler Ken Ryan.  The twenty-one-year-old painter, after having a two and four hit off the second and third deliveries of his first over in North’s second innings, took three wickets with successive balls.  In his fifth over, Ryan took two more wickets and when rain terminated play on tea he had taken 7/26 off six overs.


Against some accurate bowling, Glenorchy’s openers Lloyd Smith and skipper Rodwell successfully negotiated their way to the 37-run target ten minutes before the scheduled drawing of stumps, to complete a 10-wicket victory.


Mercury reporter – Keith Welsh