PL Season Review 1966-67

1966-67 CTPL Season & Grand Final Review


New Town achieved a hat-trick of minor premierships when the club topped the ladder again – final standings: New Town 65, Sandy Bay 53, North Hobart 51 and Glenorchy 50.  In the last round, Kingborough unexpectedly defeated Glenorchy, largely due to a splendid innings of 104 by Brian Richardson; North lost to New Town and Sandy Bay’s victory over University changed the order of the top four.


In their semi-final fixture North had an outright innings win over Sandy Bay.  With Gary Maynard 89 and Barry Burns 92, the Demons (385) completely outplayed the Bay, 133 and 241.  But the other match was a cliff-hanger.  After New Town had scored 349/9, with Rod Miller hitting an impressive 168, the Magpies gave chase; but despite the efforts of teenagers Wayne Heffernan, Ian James and Ian Simmons in support of veteran Mike Hyland (129) Glenorchy fell 26 runs short – scoring 323.


In the final, North Hobart was dismissed for an unconvincing 143 on an easy-paced TCA wicket and by stumps New Town had the match and premiership wrapped up with 117/2.


New Town skipper Len Maddocks expected his bowlers to exploit the wicket and sent North Hobart into bat, and he was not disappointed in the early phase of the game.  North got away poorly, principally because of two fine catches taken by Norm Direen to dismiss Max Atwell and Barry Burns; when Gary Maynard was lbw first ball to Ron Direen, North’s position was precarious at 4/3.  Despite this success the pitch actually played well and if anything the bowlers were disadvantaged by a wet ball.


Kerry Deayton and Wayne Williams figured in an enterprising stand of 57 for the 4th wicket but it wasn’t enough.  Deayton’s 41 runs in 103 minutes included six fours.  Norm Direen was brought on at 52/3 and he quickly claimed Deayton’s wicket and then had Williams caught behind; with half the side out for only 75, North was in dire straits and although captain Ted Richardson made 27 the remaining batsmen folded quite badly.  Brian Eade was the pick of the bowlers, finishing with 4/46 off 13 overs. He and fellow medium-pacer Ron Direen (3/47 also from 13 overs) had the batsmen on the defensive throughout.


Brian Sheen and Max Cashion gave New Town a great start putting on 84 for the 1st wicket but they were painfully slow.  Sheen was dismissed by a fine catch at mid-off by Maynard, who dived to take a low grab.  He had batted with great determination, solely intent on consolidating the good start provided by New Town’s bowlers.  Rod Miller joined Cashion, the pair’s light appeal was unsuccessful and shortly after Miller was bowled by Maynard for 14.  When Maddocks came to the wicket seventeen minutes before stumps a subsequent appeal was upheld.


The next day runs flowed freely although New Town lost the wickets of Cashion, Maddocks, Wylie and Eade for the addition of only 103 runs.  With the score at 243/8, Ron Direen was joined by Joe McCallum and in an exhilarating exhibition they brought up 300 in 431 minutes, the last fifty occupying only 35 minutes, and then added the next fifty in similar time.  When McCallum was eventually dismissed, snicking one through to Lyn Cox for his third catch of the innngs, he had made 74 (six fours) in 149 minutes.  Doug Banks was out first ball and Direen carried his bat for 59 (nine fours) in 81 minutes.


North’s best bowler was nineteen-year-old Gary Maynard (4/83), who commanded respect from all but the last few overs of his marathon 33-over spell (eight maidens).


North batted again, and recovered well after the early loss of Burns, with colts Maynard and Deayton figuring in a delightful 2nd wicket stand of 58 but when Maynard was run out for 23, three wickets fell for the addition of only 16 runs.  Ted Richardson stopped the rot and was 27* at stumps to ensure North did not incur the embarrassment of an innings defeat.


Mercury reporter – Keith Welsh