PL Season Review 1968-69

1968-69 CTPL Season & Grand Final Review


Kingborough defeated Clarence by five runs in an exciting finish to their last-round match and won its way into the finals at the expense, on percentage of University to conclude the roster programme.  The final standings were: Sandy Bay 83, New Town 74, Glenorchy 71, Kingborough and University 59.


Brian Patterson led his team from the front in its semi with a great 142 as the Bay overwhelmed Kingborough with 382 in reply to the Knights 207, and New Town, with Leon Braslin claiming 6/56, had all the answers in its semi-final match with Glenorchy, scoring 155 and 226 to 112 and 51/3.


A skipper’s knock of 48 under difficulties by Len Maddocks steered New Town to its sixth TCA premiership in eight seasons when they beat Sandy Bay by 209 runs on the first innings.


Maddocks was hampered by a back injury that was aggravated during the first day’s play, but he was at the crease for 241 minutes without giving a chance, and when he was the sixth batsmen dismissed New Town was 63 runs ahead with no chance of defeat.


Earlier his seventeen-year-old son, Ian, had helped Peter Fyfe add 67 for the 1st wicket, chasing Sandy Bay’s total of 157.


Sandy Bay had their chances when captain Brent Palfreyman won the toss and elected to bat on a perfect wicket.  However, they started badly with a run out for which Neville Rist could only blame himself when Fyfe threw down his wicket, and within a couple of overs they were 6/3 with Jones out to a snick and Bale yorked in the course of three balls of a dramatic over from Leon Braslin.


Brian Patterson was badly missed by Brian Eade in the slips off Braslin but went soon after when Ron Direen got one to stand up from a good length to hit the bat-handle and spoon up a dolly catch.  Brent Palfreyman played on his wicket at 57 and eight minutes before lunch the hard-hitting Wynd carted a long hop on the leg side straight to long leg’s hands and they were 76/6.  Wynd had hit a six off Braslin and five boundaries in his 34, scored out of 44 while he was at the wicket.


Michael Street defended dourly in a 7th wicket partnership of 62 runs but when Stewart Palfreyman left at 138 for a well made 41, including four fours, the side crumbled for a total of 157.  Street was 34* after 132 minutes.


Using aggressive field placements, Maddocks used Braslin for all the pre-lunch session, and spin was not introduced until the score was 152/8.


The Bay started off with a couple of overthrows and its new-ball attack was treated in cavalier style by Fyfe and Ian Maddocks – their 50-run partnership coming up in 52 minutes.


The scoring rate dwindled to a trickle when Brian Patterson was brought into the attack.  Ian Maddocks was caught after being dropped a couple of balls earlier, Rod Miller went to a brilliantly anticipated catch by Brent Palfreyman at short leg and Fyfe was out to one of the best catches seen at the ground hooking a ball which keeper Street grasped in his extended right hand as he threw himself wide to the right and rolled over holding the ball above the ground.  Fyfe had four boundaries in his 55 scored in 121 minutes.


At stumps on the first day New Town trailed by 41 runs with seven wickets in hand.


Len Maddock (19) and Graeme Treweek (17) batted cautiously when play resumed the following day, adding just 17 runs in the first hour, with Maddocks having most of the strike, using his pads whenever possible.

Patterson bowled unchanged from when the score was 45/0 until 187/4, finishing up with five maidens on end for an analysis, at that stage, of 26/14/30/1 with only thirteen scoring shots from his 208 deliveries.


Eade hit Stewart Palfreyman for two consecutive boundaries to give New Town the lead and contributed 60 of the 5th wicket stand of 84, hitting nine fours.  With his dismissal, New Town had lost four wickets for 24, but the Direen brothers then added 89 in quick time for the 9th wicket, with Norm Direen last out for 89 in 94 minutes with ten boundaries after sharing another 42 runs with Leon Braslin for the last wicket.


Stewart Palfreyman kept pegging away on an unresponsive pitch, but he and Patterson were the only bowlers to trouble New Town.  Patterson was collared towards the end, when the game had been won and risks could be taken, his last eleven overs costing 60 runs.


The Bay progressed to 67/0 when stumps were drawn an hour early because of bad light.


Mercury reporter – Keith Welsh