PL Season Review 1970-71

1971-72 CTPL Seaosn & Grand Final Review  

Brilliant fielding by Ian Stewart helped University to anoutright win over New Town and the minor premiership in the final round of the TCA roster.  Final standings were: University 73, South Hobart 68, Glenorchy 65, North Hobart 62, and – just outside the four – Sandy Bay 56.


There was high drama in the South Hobart v Glenorchy semi-final at New Town oval with South claiming the last Glenorchy wicket with just four runs to spare, 262 to 258.  Sadly for South its captain-coach Rodney Cass aggravated an old back injury while batting and the severity of the strain was sufficient to keep him out of the final.  Speedster Les Appleton was the difference in the other semi-final as North Hobart defeated the favoured University by eight wickets – University 151 and 127 lost to North 234 and 46/2.

“Appleton-itis” was the malady from which South Hobart also perished in the final, played the following weekend.


South Hobart won the toss and elected to bat which provided North’s fast bowler with first use of a TCA wicket with extra zip in the first hour, and the bowler, who had never played in a premiership team in any sport, was clearly eager to take advantage of the opportunity presented to him.


Appleton had both openers out after only four overs at a personal cost of eleven runs, and went on to take 7/35 in a display that ripped South’s batting apart; they were dismissed for a paltry 84 – and for all intents and purposes the match was all over.  Including the nine no-balls he sent down during his 98 deliveries and only twenty of them resulted in runs.


He bowled Denis Hardman in the first over to show what was in store, then Simon Allen copped one on his hand; two balls later umpire Max Thomas issued a final warning to Appleton after Allen played on making a late effort to defend himself.  Considering there have been more sustained bumper attacks in the past which were allowed, the warning came as a surprise.


Towards the end of South’s innings, its trump spin bowler, Don Broughton, pulled a calf muscle while batting which prevented him from taking any further part in the match.


North took full advantage of the perfect batting strip and quickly posted the winning run.  Max Atwell scored 34 in a 1st wicket stand of 53 with David Manson, and then added 64 with Geoff Collis to pass South’s score with the lost of just one wicket.  The Demons went on to post 408 with most batsmen enjoying the opportunity to rub salt into South’s wounds.


It was North Hobart’s seventh attempt in a final and the club’s first premiership since 1953-54, when the premier was determined by the points table at the end of the season.  Max Atwell was a member of that side as well as the winning team in 1949-50.  This time his son was also a member of the team.


Starting its second innings immediately after lunch on the second day, 324 runs in arrears, South reached 221/6 with Simon Allen scoring a maiden century – his 122 runs included 17 boundaries.


Mercury reporter – Keith Welsh