PL Season Review 1971-72

1971-72 CTPL Season & Grand Final Review  

Rankings after the roster series was completed had Sandy Bay (64) and North Hobart (57) well ahead of the pack with New Town (46) and Kingborough (44) makingup the numbers based on performances over the season, yet minor premier Sandy Bay and the second-placed North Hobart were ousted from the finals by Kingborough and New Town respectively in two intriguing semi-final clashes, with captains Michael Elliott (K) and Rod Miller (NT) playing major roles.

At the TCA ground Elliott sent Sandy Bay in to bat and from 20 unchanged overs took 6/68 to dismiss the leaders for 145 by 2.05pm, after they’d been 50/1.  Kingborough fared slightly better with 169 but the Bay then thrashed the Knights attack to record 213/3 declared in 137 minutes to set up a victory chance.  At one stage Kingborough were 59/5 before a rear-guard defence led by Elliott and Ken Adams held out until a light appeal was upheld at 5.15pm.  Sandy Bay pace-man Peter Fulton claimed a hat trick with the last two balls of Kingborough’s first innings and his first in the second.


Runs flowed in the other final at New Town oval with Miller winning the toss, batting and then scoring 115 of his team’s 373/5 declared.  Les Appleton was no-balled eleven times in the course of 22 overs and umpire Lance Cox called Gary Brakey for throwing.  North, with an eye on the weather, was resolute in reply but spinners Calvert and Treweek took six important wickets between them and North was dismissed for 247.


So two unexpected participants lined up in the final the following weekend at the TCA ground – Kingborough had finished last in all three grades in 1970-71, the club totalling just four wins for the season.


New Town captain Rod Miller surprised when he sent Kingborough in on a perfect batting strip with no abnormally heavy conditions to take advantage of.  Michael Oakford blunted the opening attack with a chanceless 58 including six fours out of 121, and a stand of 54 in 49 minutes between semi-final heroes Elliott and Adams built on the start.  Adams was dropped at leg slip when he was seven and the score 85/3 and he remained to score 56; when he was dismissed Kingborough was 219/9.  Leon Braslin bowled unchanged for two hours and finished with 4/70.


New Town started badly with Miller and Brian Chapman stranded mid-wicket, then David Page touched one from Brian Mitchell on the leg side.  Terry Wylie was on a single for thirty minutes and was out for 21 trying to turn a ball and giving a return catch.  Treweek went almost immediately, caught at mid-off, and Miller chased one from Elliott for three wickets to fall in the last half hour for 18 runs.


To all intents and purpose it was all over when play began on the second day, but seventeen-year-old Roger Woolley played a fine knock for 33 and while he and Brian Eade were there the Townies had a chance.  But Mitchell started the landslide with Woolley’s wicket and then took 2/2, while Elliott had 3/3 at the other end to complete the rout.  New Town had lost five wickets for six runs, leaving them 116 runs behind on the first innings, with five hours left.


Diminutive wicketkeeper John Leak removed any threat of an outright bid with a breezy 49, and Kingborough went on to total 346 in its second innings.  Adams completed a fine batting double with 85 while Ray Heffernan hit eight fours in his 92.


Kingborough’s win was a triumph for teamwork, with Elliott setting the example with 4/61 and scores of 35 and 39.  He became the youngest captain of a TCA 1st grade premiership team, and it completed a fine double for him as he was a member of Sandy Bay’s TFL premiership team.  It was Kingborough’s first premiership for thirteen years and to complete its triumph – the club also won the 2nd grade premiership.


Mercury reporter – Gordon Burnett