PL Season Review 1973-74

1973-74 CTPL Season & Grand Final Review

Final standings at the end of the roster were: Sandy Bay 69, University 59, Glenorchy 48 and Clarence 45.


Defensive tactics were the feature of the semi-finals.  University took 326 minutes to score 130 from 75 overs against Glenorchy after losing two and a half hours’ play through a downpour on Friday night.  Glenorchy disposed of the last five University batsman for thirty runs as the Students extend their innings for a further ninety minutes on the second day.  The Magpies (144) struggled in reply but achieved their target with two wickets in hand.


Sandy Bay, the other club that needed only a draw to get into the final, slumped from 87/0 to be 178/7 after 76 overs, when play in its match with Clarence, who had compiled 259/8 declared, was abandoned fifteen minutes before stumps because of bad light.


Captain-coach Brian Richardson was chaired off the TCA ground after Glenorchy defeated Sandy Bay by seven runs with eleven minutes remaining before stumps to win its first senior premiership for eleven years. Richardson had made 77 runs himself and had used his vast experience to make judicious bowling switches backed by clever field placements.


But it was one of those games when it was a pity either side had to lose.


Glenorchy made a very solid start on the first day and with major contributions from Richardson (77) and Mike Hyland (97*), the two veterans of the side, they totalled 290/5 at stumps.


Glenorchy took first use of a perfect wicket and slowly built its innings against an inconsistent opening attack that did not attack the stumps.  A bright 2nd wicket partnership of 52 in even time was featured by aggressive play by Darryl Sutton, but then came a 4th wicket stand of 49 in 78 minutes between Richardson and Hyland.  Richardson’s innings included nine fours.  Hyland dominated the rest of the innings; he hit eleven fours in his undefeated 97, although he was dropped in the sixties.


Sandy Bay started well the next day with 137/2 and then lost five wickets for 40 before eighteen-year-old Michael Ponsonby, joined Stewart Palfreyman to add 84 runs in 102 minutes to get the Bay within 22 runs of their goal.  The new ball at 253 proved their undoing, Ponsonby leaving at 261/8 and Graham Hodgman one run later, and Palfeyman, faced with the responsibility of keeping the strike at all costs in the fading light, was last out at 283.

Glenorchy fell into the trap of expecting a spate of quick runs in the last hour against a tired attack.  The Bay kept their fast bowlers on throughout this period to keep the scoring rate in check, but for all that Hyland and Don Holland added 54 in 43 minutes.  Brian Patterson did not get a wicket but at one stage sent down 128 balls to concede only twelve scoring shots.


Sandy Bay started shakily against some good bowling by Mick Rodwell, who got some late movement in the air and off the pitch to beat Patterson a number of times.  Peter Gray achieved more lift than any other bowler and had the first breakthrough, and then Ian James picked up Jim Wilkinson’s wicket in his first over just as the Bay’s state player was starting to settle down.


At lunch the Bay was 104/2 but the rot set in with Kel Cobern getting Patterson and Clive Simpson in three deliveries at 137.  Simpson fell to a fine catch by James at square leg.  Skipper Brent Palfreyman (41) touched one from Gray at 141 just as he seemed set for a big score, and worse was to follow when Mike Gandy disposed of Robert Swan and Leigh Batchelor to have them 177/7.


Stewart Palfreyman and Ponsonby brought the Bay from the depths of despair to excited hopes of victory as they ran audacious twos from shots that colleagues had passed up singles from.  Ponsonby was missed at silly mid-on off Cobern when five, and Palfreyman should have been taken in the slips off Gandy with the score at 264.  It was an exciting partnership with neither batsman in any great difficulty until the new ball came.


At 261 Ponsonby was caught at the wicket off Gandy, Palfreyman took a bye and left Hodgman to face an over from Gray and he was bowled second ball – 262/9.  When Fulton came in 29 runs were needed and this had whittled down to eight when Palfreyman touched one from Gray and it was all over amid tremendous excitement from Glenorchy supporters.


Stewart Palfreyman was man-of-the-match with 4/86 from 26 overs and 67 runs with the bat.


Mercury reporter – Gordon Burnett