1990-91 CTPL Season & Grand FInal Review  


Clarence and Glenorchy had commanding victories in their semi-final encounters with SHSB and North Hobart.  SHSB grabbed the fourth spot by tipping New Town out of the finals in the last roster round when it dismissed New Town for 57.  Clarence powered to top position ahead of North Hobart with an impressive outright win over Kingborough.  After declaring its innings closed at 162/0 (Bruce Patterson 100*), the Roos routed Kingborough, who could only score 25 and 63.  This was the first time in TCA history that a team had won a match outright without losing a wicket.  In the first innings Michael Tame had the marvellous figures of 9.2/6/8/6.


The final standings were Clarence 61, North Hobart 60, Glenorchy 54 and SHSB 51.


The semi-finals were one-sided.  Greg Shipperd (138) led the way in Clarence’s 349/9 and SHSB could manage only 200 in response, while Glenorchy, in reply to North’s 207, almost passed that total with a 195-run 1st wicket partnership by Martin Kelly (95) and Brendan Wilson (100*).  Glenorchy finished with 298/1.


The run-feast didn’t exactly continue at Bellerive the following week.  Clarence invited the Magpies to bat hoping to use any life in the wicket and its bowlers didn’t let the side down.  Mark Colegrave and Peter McPhee had Kelly (10), Wilson (0) and Steve Smith (12) back in the sheds with Glenorchy in bother at 33/3, but a 61-run partnership between Andrew Wyver and Roger Hughes steadied the boat, although Clarence’s slips cordon missed several chances.  Wyver was given a third life when, on 31, an emphatic appeal for what appeared to be a clean low-down catch to de Winter at second slip off McPhee was rejected after the umpires conferred.


In the next over de Winter gained compensation when he snatched a spectacular diving catch off Ian Connell’s bowling to dismiss Hughes.  Wyver briefly took back the initiative after Hughes’s departure before closing up and grinding his way to Glenorchy’s top score of 44, but he edged Connell to Shipperd at slip when the score was 119/5.

Youngster Paul Ransley looked good until Connell bowled him for 12 and at 133/6 it did not appear likely that Glenorchy would set Clarence any sort of defendable total, but keeper Dean Cooper (15) and Tom Huigsloot (35) put together an enterprising 32-run stand to frustrate Clarence again.  During this period Shipperd was responsible for Clarence’s fifth dropped chance in an incident which forced him from the field and onto the physio’s table.


The Glenorchy tail pushed on to 200 and when Roger Hughes bowled Clarence opener Patterson late in the day the honours seemed to be even.  With Shipperd indisposed, night-watchman Mark Colegrave and opener Matthew Lee saw Clarence to 16/1 when stumps were drawn.

Lee was the only Clarence batsman to lose his wicket after play resumed on Sunday, and he can consider himself most unfortunate to be caught at short leg, the ball coming off the visor of the fieldsman’s helmet before he clutched it to his chest.  Glenorchy’s attack had been depleted by the loss of former state speedster Tim Bower, but it was little excuse.


Batting as a night-watchman, Colegrave underlined the awesome depth of Clarence’s run-making capabilities in a 247-minute stay with 12 fours in his unbeaten 100 – it was the twenty-two-year-old’s maiden 1st grade century and easily beat his previous highest score of 25.  With thirty-four-year-old former state opener Greg Shipperd (74*) supporting Colegrave, the pair combined superbly in an undefeated 3rd wicket partnership of 167 in 217 minutes.  Shipperd displayed characteristic grit in making his runs from 208 balls with four boundaries, overcoming a back injury and a torn thigh muscle which forced him to use a runner after reaching 46.


Coach Michael Tame said the club would aim to make it five premierships in a row the following season – something that had not been done before.  “We’ve now won eight premierships in the past ten seasons and that winning feeling is something the players are very keen to maintain.”


Mercury reporter – David Stockdale