1981-82 CTPL Season & Grand Final Review 


Final points standing was Clarence 81, South Hobart 61, Glenorchy 60 and North Hobart 55.


In the last round, Clarence had convincingly defeated South Hobart to confirm premiership favouritism but scrambled into the final after a nail-biting affair in its semi-final with North Hobart.  It was one of those remarkable games which deserve a full report.  Scores were North Hobart 241 (David Page 62 and Rob Jeffrey 77) and Clarence 251/9.


Clarence won the match after a miraculous come-back from an almost impossible situation and the centre of attention was forty-year-old Ian Wyver.


Wyver joined an injured Mark Kerslake at the crease with Clarence 144/8 and was still there 90 minutes later when number eleven Mark Gill hit the winning runs.


Kerlake’s effort was a gutsy one.  On Saturday he split the webbing between the fore and middle fingers on his right hand when fielding in slips – a severe gash requiring seven stitches and heavy bandaging.  He had no intention of batting, except at eleven if absolutely necessary, but with Clarence’s steady loss of wickets it became apparent he should bat higher if he was to be of any value.


Kerslake arrived at the crease at 128/6 with two fingers taped together and the fingers cut out of an old batting glove.  Every time he hit the ball, he had to press down on the splice of the bat to stop the pain.


Even the biggest optimist in the Clarence camp did not give the side a hope when they lost their eighth wicket; but they weren’t counting on the efforts of Kerslake and Wyver as the pair slowly got on top of the bowling, scoring mainly in twos and fours.  The duo lifted their partnership to 77 in only 76 minutes when, 19 runs away from the target, Kerslake snicked a hook shot onto his helmet and was caught at square leg.  Despite his injury he managed to score a graceful 55 in 155 minutes from 94 deliveries, including five fours.


At that stage Wyver was on 30.  He and Gill took the score to 234/9 at tea with Gill hitting the winnng runs after the break in one of the tensest matches seen at the TCA.


Almost unnoticed was the bowling effort of North Hobart captain Rob Jeffrey who broke Clarence early to take 6/75 from 25 overs.


In the other semi at Eady Street, South’s batting let the team down and Glenorchy’s batsmen were hardly any better.  South’s captain Colin Tully had match figures of 10/57 but Glenorchy won by 4 wickets – scoring 168 and 64/6 to South Hobart’s 123 and 103.


The final was a non-event.


Clarence won the title without a ball being bowled!