1982-83 CTPL Season & Grand Final Review 


State players Mark Ray and Roland Butcher led University to a thrilling outright win over New Town in the last round to hoist the Students to third and tipping the unlucky South Hobart out of the finals.  Butcher threw down the wicket of last-man-in Steven Clifford on the second last ball of the day to leave New Town ten runs short of victory after the Townies led University on the first innings.  Final points were: Clarence 59, Glenorchy 57, University and New Town 55, and South Hobart 53.

In the semis, the top teams Clarence and Glenorchy had comfortable wins over New Town and University respectively in matches which produced several excellent performances with Glenorchy’s Lindsay Davidson cracking 135, Clarence opener Ken Archer 133, Roly Hyatt 5/90 and Ian Beven’s double of 5/59 and 92 – all auguring well for the final.


Despite constant rain mid-week which gave TCA curator Mac Mason little chance to work on his centre wicket area, the pitch for the final posed few fears for the batsmen and both captains were appreciative of the curator’s efforts to prepare the final’s pitch.


At the end of the match Clarence well deserved its second premiership on end and no doubt the celebrations were more enjoyable than the previous year when the title was awarded after a wash out.  This time Clarence outplayed Glenorchy in all faceats of the game.  Not only were its bowlers too good for Glenorchy, but its batsman, led by the brilliant all-rounder Ian Beven, had little trouble hitting the winning score.


On the Saturday Glenorchy crumbled from a reasonable start and collapsed from 102/3 to be all out for 132 after its middle-order crashed against Beven’s quick off-spinners.  Beven followed his 5/32 with an innings of 83 as he and David Richardson steered the total to 178/4 before both captains agreed there was no need to continue the match after lunch on the second day.


Glenorchy captain, Tony Wade said the wicket had no real bearing on the outcome of the match and that it was excellent to bat on during Saturday even when his team was losing its wickets.  “Losing the toss and being sent in to bat had less impact than the fact that we were keyed-up to do well and get at the Clarence batsmen”.  Wade said the final was probably Glenorchy’s worst performance of the season and the match was lost in the lunch-to-tea session when the team gave up 7/46.


Clarence’s Roly Hyatt agreed the toss had not affected the result.  “We all applied ourselves and were the better side over the weekend.  It was also a lot better to win on our ability than in a wash out like last season, particularly as it was possible that rain may have intervened again.  We were surprised the ground and wicket were in such good condition.”


“Snowy Beven was so valuable to the team because he is a lot quicker than most spinners.”


How true!  As the pitch started to take grip and provide the spinners with turn, Beven was in his element. He took 5/32 from 28.2 overs and was responsible for Glenorchy’s middle-order collapse.  At one stage Glenorchy slumped from 102/3 to 104/6; then they lost their last four wickets for seven runs.


Opener Greg Butterworth was one Magpie batsman to look at ease; he scored 57 in 166 minutes (eight boundaries) before he lifted his head to Hyatt and was caught at mid-on.  Wade was also looking good but after 58 minutes at the crease he was caught behind for 22.


Granger had a good match with three catches and a stumping – sending his opposite number Don Holland back to the pavilion when he misjudged the first ball he faced from Beven.


Clarence lost the wickets of opener Ken Archer and Mark Kerslake before stumps on Saturday and young opener Scott Clark followed when play recommenced on Sunday to be 55/3.  Clark had shown plenty of maturity against the pace of Shane Dawson and spin of Chris Broadby in scoring his 17 runs in 152 minutes.  His dismissal was the end of the ball game for Glenorchy.


From the moment Beven took guard, he and night-watchman David Richardson were always in control.  Together they added 119 for the 4th wicket in only 117 minutes.  When Beven was caught in the slips off John Gunter for 83 with the total on 174, there was little more to play for.


Richardson’s innings of 35* in 150 minutes was just as valuable – he played with the composure of a top-order batsman and belted three well-timed boundaries.


Glenorchy didn’t help its cause by constantly bowling short to Beven who relished cracking them for four square of the wicket.  Although he bowled with pace Dawson failed to take a wicket – the first time in a season that yielded him 52 wickets.


Mercury reporter – Gary Oxley