2015-16 CTPL Season and Grand Final Report 


Bookended by a late AFL final and an early Easter the CTPL season was compacted into seventeen rounds consisting of seven two-day, and five of each one-day and T20 matches.


Kingborough (70) was dominant throughout the home and away season, winning the Club Championship for the second successive time by a wide margin.  Clarence (56) leap-frogged SHSB (52), defeated in the last round by bottom team New Town, into second place while University (46) denied Lindisfarne (44) another final’s berth.  North Hobart (39.8), Glenorchy (34) and New Town (20) all had disappointing seasons.  Glenorchy was the only club to fail to make the final four in any grade – perhaps the first time ever for the club.


The semi-finals saw Kingborough pick up from the mat thanks to Brad Jones (119) to reach a competitive tally to contain University while SHSB defeated Clarence in tight match at Kangaroo Bay – Clarence’s new home after quitting Blundstone Arena.


SHSB won the 2nd Grade title while Kingborough had some consolation taking out 3rd Grade and U17 premierships.  North Hobart again won the Womens Grade and went on to take out the State T20 as well.  Riverside (Cricket North) defeated Wellington (Southern Suburban League) in the Statewide T20 final after Wellington won bragging rights in the south having beaten Lindisfarne (CTPL T20 champions).  The Kookaburra Cup was won by SHSB who defeated Kingborough.


Daniel Salpietro (Clarence) won the Emerson Rodwell Medal after compiling 1011 runs – the first batsman to pass a thousand since Dane Anderson in 2004-05.  Veronica Pyke was the Kim Fazackerley Medallist in the Womens Grade.


Marking the 150th Anniversary of the Association a CTPL Hall of Fame was established and eight former cricketers were inducted. They were: Ken Burn, Charles Eady, Gerald James, Ron Morrisby, Emerson Rodwell, Brian Patterson, Roger Woolley and Andrew Dykes.


2015-16 CTPL Grand Final. Kingborough v South Hobart Sandy Bay 


For the first time there was a Saturday-Monday three-day final to enable state cricketers who were participating in the final Shield round to play for their respective clubs.  Cricket Australia protocol denied Jackson Bird’s selection in the Kingborough team but Clive Rose, Beau Webster (Kingborough) and George Bailey, Alex Doolan and Hamish Kingston (SHSB) returned to Hobart to play (albeit the Shield match in Adelaide ended after two days which gave the senior cricketers two extra days to prepare for the CTPL final).


Kingborough elected to send SHSB to bat after winning the toss and after the Knight’s pacemen removed Matthew Clark (32), Stuart Martin (29) and Sean Willis (15) in the first session there would have been a feeling of justification for the decision but by stumps it was a risk that backfired for the Sharks powered to 9/368 by stumps thanks mainly to a 204-run 4th wicket stand between Alex Doolan and George Bailey.


Doolan (126 off 193 balls) and Bailey (123 from 189 balls) carried the score from 116 to 320 – just seventeen runs short of equaling the final’s record partnership for the fourth wicket.  Both lost their wicket within three overs but by then SHSB had taken control of the final. Cameron Wheatley chimed in to take late wickets as the lower order batsmen struggled against the second new ball to lose 4/29.  Brad Lovell and skipper Adam Maher toiled manfully throughout the day with limited success.


Day two was a struggle for the minor premiers with Gabe Bell in particular striking early to have Kingborough 3/33 with all wickets falling lbw in the first thirteen overs of the innings.  Thereafter Harry Evans (24) provided support to Clive Rose, the latter enjoying some fortune having been bowled by Hamish Kingston off a no ball and dropped off Xavier Doherty’s own bowling.  Rose went on to make 89 – the last man out – as Kingborough limped to 9/214 before declaring shortly before stumps.  Bell was the key strike bowler with 4/53 while at the other end Doherty’s tight off-spin cleaned out the tail.


Having declared 159 behind there was some thought SHSB may have enforced the follow-on (Law 13) but Jeremy Smith opted to bat a second time – his openers 0/8 off four overs at stumps.


With only a slight chance of success it was speculative as to when the Kingborough captain Adam Maher would concede when play resumed on the third day.  Clearly it was not on Brad Lovell’s mind to do so for he injected some hope in an inspired bowling spell with late leg-cutters that took the off-peg stump of Clark, Doolan and Willis after Wheatley had removed Martin cheaply. At 4/68 there was a chance but George Bailey (59) and Trent Keep (44) buckled down and added an even hundred.  They were both dismissed off Lovell’s bowling as well but with SHSB 350 ahead the flame of hope had flickered out.


SHSB was finally dismissed for 216 on tea – Lovell’s 5/36 gave him match figures of 7/107 – making him a contender for the Man of the Match award along side of Bailey, Doolan and Bell.  As the players prepared to resume after the break with the Sharks 375 runs ahead and only 33 overs left to play Adam Maher retired his team.  SHSB had broken the drought – thirty years after the amalgamation of the two clubs South Hobart and Sandy Bay and the fifth attempt to win the CTPL grand final. George Bailey was named the Roger Woolley Medallist.


Captain coach Jeremy Smith was elated.  “There is a really good feeling around the club as we also won the second grade title as well.  We had a couple in the team who have experienced grand final losses and it made them more determined this time – to play as they did was special.”


Match report by Michael Gandy and Simeon Thomas-Wilson (The Mercury)