PL Season Review 2010-11

CTPL 2010-11 Season and Finals Report 

The 2010-11 Premier League season was one of the most extra-ordinary played for many years.  Firstly the season was expanded to include T20 within the premiership roster – extending the home and away programme to twenty-one fixtures: seven each of two-day, F50 limited one-day, and T20 matches – all attracting equal points.


Prior to the final round Lindisfarne was in seventh place but a sparkling win over SHSB in the 21st round, coupled by defeats for North Hobart (by bottom team New Town) and Glenorchy (by minor premiers Kingborough) enabled the Lightning to jump into the four.  Final premiership points were: Kingborough 86, Clarence 70, University 66, Lindisfarne 41, SHSB 40, Glenorchy and North Hobart 36 and New Town 30.


Lindisfarne was on only club to reach the finals in all four grades – an outstaning result considering the club was last in 1st, 2nd and U17 grades the previous season.


The semi-finals saw Clarence (295 with Ben Harris 109*) reverse a thrashing they received from University (208) in the last round while in the surprise of the season, Lindisfarne (290) proved too strong for hot-favourites Kingborough (120) when Jeremy Smith (6/58) ran through the Knights.


The Emerson Rodwell medal was won by Mark Divin who was the dominant cricketer all year taking out the batting and bowling aggregates and averages as well – a feat not achieved since CJ Eady did the same back in 1901-02.


Kingborough won the club championship and Spirit of Cricket Award and the statewide Kookaburra Cup (defeating Glenorchy in the final), while University took out the T20 Statewide Cup (over Ulverstone).


Minor grade premiers were: 2nd grade Kingborough, 3rd grade SHSB, U17’s Clarence, U15’s New Town; Women’s grade North Hobart.


The Premier League final at Bellerive Oval was played between Clarence and Lindisfarne – it was the first time since Clarence met Brighton in 1992 the final was an all-Eastern Shore event.


Grade Final Match Report


An inspired spell of bowling from Jason Wright put Clarence on top in a fluctuating first day of the CT Premier League final at Bellerive.  At stumps the Lightning – chasing its second flag in club history – needed a further 103 runs, with five wickets in hand, to overhaul the Roos’ 166 with rejuvenated opener Steve Cazzulino unbeaten on 26 while club coach Andrew Downton was 6*.


Bellerive Oval had been a seamer’s haven all summer and it was no exception on the first day of the final.  After winning the toss, Lindisfarne’s skipper Brendan Drew had no hesitation inviting Clarence to bat first and the move paid dividends immediately when he had Wade Irvine caught at first slip in the third over of the day.


Jonathan Wells (43) and Michael Dighton (35) set about the rescue mission and were doing it comfortably until Dighton edged behind just when it appeared he was settling in for a big score.


Clarence reached 91/2 at lunch, but things turned pear shaped quickly thereafter as the Lightning all-pace attack slowly turned the screws.  The dismissal of Wells, who batted for 171 minutes and absorbed 135 deliveries, triggered a collapse of 7/45.  Drew, who finished with 4/40, bowled a 10-over spell between lunch and tea with netted 2/16, while Jeremy Smith, after conceding 37 runs from his first seven wayward overs, turned up the heat by taking 2/11 from six.


The Roos scored only 623 runs in the second session and any hopes of a recovery was dashed on the first ball after tea when Downton (2/16) clean bowled the last recognized batsman Ben Harris (19).


Needing early wickets to put the Lightning on the back foot, Jason Wright stepped up to the plate in dramatic fashion.  The competition’s second highest wicket-taker made the initial break through when Mathew Dance was caught behind for 5, before making it 11/2 two balls later when Rick Burton fell in similar fashion.  Soon it was 16/3 when Nick Pearce, who never looked comfortable, spooned a catch at Alex Treanor at mid-off.


Wright should have had his fourth victim shortly after when Tom Triffitt pulled a short delivery to Shannon Tubb at square leg, only for the chance to be spilt.  Triffitt survived a huge shout for lbw in the next over before finally being trapped in front by Daniel Meredith to leave the Lightning 47/4.  It got worse for the visitors when the dangerous Drew was brilliantly caught by Tubb at square leg for a duck in the third last over.  Drew edged onto his pad, and with the ball ballooning in the air, Tubb dived full length to grad the chance centimeters from the turf.  Throughout the drama Cazzulino remained, but he would need help for Lindisfarne to push for victory.


After 15 wickets fell on the first day, another 20 tumbled on the second as both sides traded blows in a clash which, if you weren’t witnessing the action live you wouldn’t had believed the scoreboard.  By stumps Lindisfarne was just 17 runs away from one of the greatest comebacks in grade cricket grand-final history.


Staring the day with 64/5, the Lightning was bundled out for 114 in the second over after drinks.  Spearhead Wright snared Cazzulino after the opener had added one run to his overnight total, before Wells (3/17) grabbed the next three, including two in the first four balls after drinks.  He removed Jeremy Smith (22) after he and Downton had added 37 in a face-saving seventh wicket stand, before claiming Scott Campbell and Mathew Wilkie, giving the Roos a 52-run first innings lead.


Clarence then raced to 46/1 in their second hit before Drew, who’d conceded 31 runs from his first four overs, produced a pearler that Wells (24 from 24 balls) could only edge to first slip.  Still, Clarence went to lunch at 48/2 holding an overall lead of 100.

Lightning coach, Downton the turned the match when he dismissed his opposite number Dighton (17) and Irvine for a duck in the first over after the resumption.  From there it was a procession as Clarence folded for 105 in the twenty-ninth over setting Lindisfarne 168 for an unlikely victory.  Clarence had lost 8/57 in the second session with only Tubb’s brisk 43 saving his team from even worse disaster – he was last man out, caught brilliantly at deep cover by Jeremy Smith.


The Lightning openers Cazzulino and Dance then added 50 for the first wicket to show the wicket was nowhere as bad as the scoreboard suggested but the match took another turn immediately after when Alex Treanor lured Cazzulino to flash at a wide delivery only to be caught behind and Burton fended to third slip a few balls later to finish the final with a pair.


Dance reached 30 before Tubb produced a brilliant direct hit at the non-striker’s end to catch the opener short of his ground and soon after that it was 77/4 when Wright had Nick Pearce (6) lbw.  The match was at make or break stage for both teams and at this point Tasmanian Shield hero Tom Triffitt joined his captain Brendan Drew to steady the ship; theirs was a game-high 62-run partnership, before Triffitt skewed a catch to point attempting to pull Harry Allanby out of the ground in the second last over of the day – Lindisfarne 139/5.  But the hard work had been done and the Lightning potted to stumps without further damage and with captain and coach, Drew and Downton together, five wickets in hand and only 17 runs to score, the scent of victory was within smelling distance.


The end came quickly on the final day but not without the excitement of successive wickets falling to Wells who had Downton trapped in front and Smith caught behind the next ball to have Lindisfarne hiccupping at   /7 but Campbell was up to the task and, with Drew, confidently reeled off the arrears to give Lindisfarne outright victory by three wickets.  Brendan Drew was named Man of the Match and received the Roger Woolley Medal.


It was the first occasion in TCA/CT final’s history that a team had won the title outright after being behind on the first innings.


Report by Adam Smith from “The Mercury” and Michael Gandy