CTPL 2012-13 Season and Finals Report 


Tasmania University with its five Australian representative cricketers (not that they were regularly available to play with the club) was the stand-out club in Premier League dominating the regular roster but apart from winning the Kookaburra Cup success eluded them – losing the CTPL T20 final to Lindisfarne and then bundled out of the CTPL semi-final by the eventual premier Glenorchy.


The semi-finals saw Glenorchy defeat University in the wet – routing the Students, who elected to bat, for 106 and reaching the target without loss and SBSH win the other.  The Sharks recovered from 68/5 and then batted throughout the second day to reach 308/7 with Matt Johnston unbeaten on 134 before Clarence agreed to call off the match without getting a chance to bat in the match.


The season saw improvers Lindisfarne and New Town challenge for the finals while the runners-up from the previous season, Kingborough, won only three of twenty-one; the final placings being University 97, SHSB 77, Clarence 75, Glenorchy 74, Lindisfarne 67, North Hobart 47, New Town 31 and Kingborough 18.


Glenorchy won the Club Championship for the first time for twenty years and Lindisfarne also won the Statewide T20 Cup.


Glenorchy’s captain Brett Geeves had an excellent season – taking out the Rodwell Medal with 22 votes – one ahead of Jon Wells (Clarence) and Jordan Silk (North Hobart).  Geeves took 29 wickets at 22.2 and scored 873 runs at 48.5 while Wells won the batting double scoring 921 runs at 92.1; Sandy Rogers (North Hobart) took the most wickets (54).  Luke Butterworth (Glenorchy) had the best bowling average (29 wickets at 7.69) which included an amazing 7/7 (four wickets - double hat trick) against Kingborough.


Grade Final Match Report


For the second time the final was transferred to the TCA (Domain) Ground – this time for the right reasons with the Tasmanian Tigers hosting the Sheffield Shield final played at Blundstone Arena at the same time.


The last time Glenorchy won the 1st Grade title was in 1976-77 when the final was washed out handing the Magpies the premiership by virtue of their senior position on the roster at the end of the season ahead of South Hobart.  Along the way the Magpies had been beaten in the final on five occasions and twice runners-up when the final was washed out or cancelled.  Their opponent this time was the combined South Hobart Sandy Bay – twice the bridesmaid and never the premiership club – so a premiership drought would be broken between the two silver-ware starved clubs.


Only one of the Glenorchy team – Kelby Pickering was born when the club last won the title. SHSB coach Ron Davey said his players were still smarting from their 2006-07 loss to Kingborough.  His team went through the first eleven rounds undefeated before hitting a rough patch before hitting peak form two rounds out from the finals.


Form suggested it would be the Sharks’ day in the sun – instead SHSB was greeted by grey skies and a minefield of a wicket on the opening day – and Glenorchy seized the day.


Glenorchy won the toss and cashed in on a wicket that had plenty for the bowlers.  The Magpies bowled like demons and the Sharks, who struggled early, recovered to end the opening day of the three-day encounter on 173/8 still in trouble but much improved after the initial set-back of losing opener Jon Davies for a golden duck.  He was joined back in the shed soon after by fellow-opener Gareth Davies (10) and Tasmania cricket’s rising star Sean Willis for a second ball duck.


In-form all-rounder Matt Johnston offered the most resistance, following on from his semi-final century with a solid 33 but when he fell SHSB was 71/5 and Travis Little made it 95/6 when he was caught by Brett Geeves in slips off a Trent le Rossignol rocket.


Harry Nichols (43) and Hamish Kingston (20) attempted to right the ship with a 30-run 7th wicket stand but the rescue plan stumbled when the latter was also picked up by le Rossignol the Sharks slipped to 161/8 late in the afternoon; the match went into the evening because of its late start and Timm van der Gugten (18*) and Rob MacMillan (6*) held on until stumps were drawn.


SHSB’s innings ended on 194 with le Rossignol returning the best figures (4/45 from 19 overs) after van der Gugten  swung his bat to reach 31.


By the close of play on the second day Glenorchy had one hand on the premiership cup after its middle-order launched a rescue package.  Glenorchy’s openers Ben Dunk and Henry Terry got the Pies away to a flier with Dunk taking the long handle to the Shark’s attack – he smacked an entertaining 52 off 36 deliveries, including 18 off Will Thompson’s first over and when he lost his wicket to the Dutchman Glenorchy on 71/1 was on its way – so they thought – but SHSB hit back taking 3/9 including Geeves’s scalp for five and putting the brakes on Glenorchy’s progress at 80/3.


At that stage Henry Terry, supported by Nathan Matthews, stepped up and together they crafted a long and valuable partnership of 88 through the middle session.  When Matthews (35) fell after tea it was Terry who made sure Glenorchy was in the black by steering them past the Sharks’ total losing his wicket at 248/7 having posted a potentially match-winning 82 after four hours at the crease.


“That was a game changer” said Brett Geeves, “When Matthews came to the wicket we were under pressure – he and Terry slowed the game down and played very well”.


Glenochy’s innings came to an end at 270 in fading light when le Rossignol became van der Gugten’s fifth victim and SHSB’s second innings started badly with Jon Davies lbw to le Rossignol second ball for his second duck of the match; Trent Keep hit a boundary to get the Sharks off the mark and after four overs in tough conditions they were 4/1 when the day ended.


Needing 72 to make Glenorchy bat again, play was delayed until early afternoon to the frustration of both teams.  After an already delayed start, only seve balls were sent down before another downpour forced a t7wo-hour break in play.


When action resumes it was the veteran Kelby Pickering (4/79) who went on a rampage ripping out Keep (17), Johnston (18) and Kingston (0) to have SHSB teetering at 54/5.  Willis was joined by van der Gugten and needing quick runs to have any chance of setting a defendable target the pair added 40 before Willis (36) became Pickering’s fourth wicket.  Van der Gugten continued his aggression clubbing 86 from 75 balls, hitting five sixes and three fours before being the last man dismissed when he was run out.  The Sharks compiled 186 leaving Glenorchy 45 overs to chase down 111 to win the title outright.


First innings hero and deserving Roger Woolley medalist Henry Terry (61*) ensured there would be no concerns in pursuit of the target, with Ben Dunk (20 from 20) setting the early tempo before Terry took over.  The former Westbury all-rounder who moved south at the start of the season, hit eleven boundaries in his 48-ball innings to cap a great individual performance.


Magpie captain Geeves then tried to end the contest in one Rob MacMillan over, hitting the off-spinner for a pair of maximums and a boundary before falling with two runs to win and it was left to Nathan Matthews to pick off the extras and send his side into celebration mode.